Colorful | Fun | Free-Spirited Jewelry.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Rocking the Red River Gorge

Geared up for the next adventure.
It's been a while, I know, but the impact of this the second trip of my summer hasn't left me. This trip was to (of all places) Kentucky -- and it was fantastic! I went to a place called Red River Gorge. I went with my backpacking group. We had a veteran among us who knew the place, but for the rest of us it was new.
That's me, heading off into the wild green yonder.
I've been told that Red River Gorge has the most natural arch formations after Arches National Park (one of my favorites!).



It also has lots of rocks to climb and scramble up:
I'm happy to be near the top.
Scoping out the task at hand. (Okay, I didn't tackle that one but next time I will!)
Scrambling up Indian Staircase:

And scrambling back down Indian Staircase:

And other sides of caves:
Group shot!
Need to rest every so often...
Lovely flora.
Amazing rock jumping!! (that's not me jumping but I *did* jump -- twice!)

Vista.
Don't know specifically where I was but I loved being there.
Cool fauna.
Group shot.
We were able to do what every backpacker loves -- Cowboy Camping!
Camping without a tent -- under the stars.
So incredible to wake up to this view.
I have one more trip planned for this year (somehow didn't get in as many as I wanted!) which may be interesting since it will be in late fall when that white-stuff-that-will-go-unnamed could happen....

No comments: