Colorful | Fun | Free-Spirited Jewelry.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Theory in Action


Ever since I was a little girl I was entralled with experiential learning. I remember hearing the information about where milk comes from but until I went to a farm and actually *saw* the milk coming *from* cows it just didn't make sense to me. Maybe I like to see the proof of what I'm told is true...

Another of those examples, where I become intrigued with the reality of what I was taught to believe is true, is about flowers and pollen. I heard, learned and "know" that birds, bees, insects and any other small critters transport pollen from flower to flower in order to fertilize them but until I truly witness it with my own eyes the notion seems like just a lofty ideal.

But it's true! This little green bug was calmly travelling from day lily to day lily as I snapped his picture. He didn't mind me and just kept going along with his business. I figured he was drinking nectar from the heart of the flowers but until I uploaded the photos and looked closely I didn't see that he served another purpose.

If you click on the photo you can see more clearly the pollen stuck to his antennae that he takes with him to other flowers.

No comments: